Salon30 - Call for entries
sa•lon: noun /sə-ˈlän, ˈsa-ˌlän, sa-ˈlōⁿ/
- a drawing room or reception room in a large house
- an assembly of guests in a fashionable household, esp. a gathering of major literary, artistic and political figures
- a hall for exhibiting works of art, especially those of living artists
- a style of art installation (the exhibition was hung “salon-style”
What is SALON30?
It’s a rapid-fire rotation of mini art exhibitions with a market-style twist. Artists are invited to showcase and sell their wares in our professional gallery space for a 30-day period. Space is available on a first come, first served basis (see attached floor plan and rate listing). See our rates below.
Who can participate?
Any contemporary artist who wishes to showcase their work and agrees to the terms of the contract.
How many spaces are available?
1 space is available per month. Each space can accommodate both 2-and-3-dimensional artwork.
What are the dimensions of the space?
It is an L-shaped wall. The shorter wall is 4'10", and the longer is 11'8".
(Patton Hunter on display in Salon30 during October of 2011)
Will the Morean take a commission from work sold?
No! The full retail value of each piece sold goes directly back to the artist. The Morean will collect applicable sales tax on all work sold.
How do I apply?
Email or mail the following information:
- 5–10 images of work that is the same or similar in nature to the work that would be exhibited in the space
- ID list related to the images, including title, medium, size and retail price of each piece
- Artist statement, including what visitors could expect to see when they enter your space
- Artist bio
- Indicate the month for which you are applying
Please send all entries to:
Melissa Yungbluth, Assistant Curator of Exhibitions
Morean Arts Center
719 Central Avenue
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Or email: Melissa.Yungbluth@MoreanArtsCenter.org
When will I be notified?
Artists will be notified no later than 3 weeks prior to the installation date. Once made, payment for the space is non-refundable.
What are the conditions?
- Install your own work; supply hardware and fixtures (the Morean will provide wall and floor space). Pedestals may be provided for an additional fee.
- Provide the Morean with a complete inventory list, including retail prices, two days prior to the opening of the space.
- Artists will have two days on either end of the sale period to install/deinstall work. The space must be ready to go on the 3rd day of each month, and completely deinstalled by the last day of the month.
- Assume responsibility for your artwork. Although the space will be monitored and the artwork properly handled, the Morean will not be held responsible for lost, broken, or stolen artwork.
- Provide the Morean with a headshot, 5 images of your current work, and an artist statement 10 days prior to installation. These will be used for PR purposes.
- Payment for the space must be made in full at the time of space request.
- Provide the artist with basic pedestals for 3-d work on a first come, first served basis, for a $10 per pedestal fee.
- Provide and install gallery lighting, up to 8 fixtures per space. Additional lighting may be provided at $10 per lighting fixture.
- Provide general PR listings in local outlets (not specific artist names). Artists will be listed and featured on the Morean facebook page and website each month.
- Remain open to the public during the gallery walk (the second Saturday of each month) from 5-8pm. Regular Morean hours are 9am to 6pm Monday through Saturday, and noon to 6pm on Sunday. The Morean is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas day.
- Provide the artist with a check and a list of sold items by the 15th of the following month (example: if a piece sells in September, the payment for that piece to the artist will be remitted by October 15th).
RATES: $500 per month