In 1945, M.C. moved to Black Mountain, North Carolina where her husband had obtained a teaching position at Black Mountain College. At the college, M.C. began teaching literature and producing plays. Also at this time she began taking a pottery course. She continued her studies at Greenwich House Pottery in NYC. In 1954, M.C. Richards, along with fellow artists Karen Karnes, John Cage, and David Tudor, established a commune called The Land. During this time, M.C. and Karen Karnes developed a flame proof clay for cookware. She went on to teach pottery workshops nationwide and publish several books. In 1972, M.C. was the first Artist-in-Residence at the Arts Center, a program made possible through a grant from the Florida Arts Council.